60g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
60g breadcrumbs, toasted
2 tbsp plain flour
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 100g each
50ml olive oil
2 mozzarella balls, drained and sliced
salt and black pepper to taste
dried oregano to garnish
For the sauce:
2tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
2 tsp dried oregano
For the salad:
4 handfuls of mixed salad leavesjuice of ½ lemon2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
PanLarge frying panKitchen paper
- First make the sauce. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan, add the garlic and fry for 1min. Add the chopped tomatoes and oregano, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10min until the mixture has reduced and thickened.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper
- Combine the Parmesan, breadcrumbs and flour on a plate or in a shallow dish
- Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of cling film, then use a rolling pin to bash them out until they are 5mm thick
- Dip each chicken breast in the egg, then coat with the Parmesan breadcrumbs
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the coated breasts for 3min on each side until coloured and cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Dress the salad leaves with lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, then place in serving bowls
- Spoon the tomato sauce into the middle of 4 plates and top with the chicken breasts. Place slices of mozzarella on top of the chicken, scatter with a little more oregano, some black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and serve with the side salad.